I apologize in advance about the lengthiness of this article, but you might find it interesting. This article is a rant - one that stems from the irritating complaints by the masses about Microsoft and it’s flagship software, Windows. First and foremost, I must point out that I am in no way a HUGE fan of Microsoft – in fact I enjoy the Mac vc. PC commercials. I have used computers all my life, Mac, PC, and even a few distros of Linux.
I just upgraded to Windows 7 on my work laptop, and I am astonished. Not only is it beautiful, keeping the look which was perfected in Vista while adding fun new personalization options… not only is it far easier to use, adding quick-access funtionality such as libraries, jump lists, the new and vastly improved taskbar, integrated drivers (I didn’t have to install ANY, even after a clean install of Win7), and a much simpler wireless connectivity interface… not only is it fast (faster than Vista, and, in my opinion, faster than XP)… but I have also run into ZERO problems with it.
After seeing, and experiencing, Windows 7 in all of its glory, I am confused as to why its approval ratings look a lot like the president’s during the G. W. Bush administration. The most ridiculous of such are the Linux “fanboys.” These Linux users bash Windows for EVERYTHING. They have actually made it “cool” to bash Windows. In fact, if you tell a Linux user that you like Windows, they’ll likely label you as an imbecile (depending on their level of brainwashing). I used Linux, just to try it out… to see what the fuss was about. I was NOT impressed. There was nothing about it that appealed to me. The software, while free, is quite inferior to their counterparts on Windows and Mac platforms (particularly GIMP – the poor man’s Photoshop) GIMP is hard-to-control, has illogical organization of commands, etc... which is sort of a pattern with Linux. Now, I am not trying to bash Linux – Linux is free and everything about it is free… it is as free as free gets, and I find that really cool… however, it is in NO way superior to Windows. It is hard to navigate, not nearly as aesthetically pleasing, and contains plenty of errors and glitches, etc. I find it funny that all of the complaints Linux fanboys have about Windows are the same reasons I find Linux inferior (with the exception of malware protection, which I’ll get to in a little while).
Macs are good computers. They’re very pleasing to the eyes, they run very efficiently, and they have tons of functions which make it user friendly – altogether a fantastic operating system. Their hardware is also very “thoughtful” if you will – the magnetic chargers for their laptops, the thin environmentally friendly designs, etc. all make for an excellent computer system. My only complaint, really, is that they lack in the computer gaming realm (which seems to be falling along the wayside anyway). With no price tags attached, I would take a Mac over a PC any day of the week. However… there is a price tag attached, and a Mac costs around 2 to 3 times as much as a PC of comparable computing power. Is it worth it? Well, to some it is, but to most it isn’t. Simply put – Macs are out of most people’s price range.
I promised we’d talk about malware… here we go. I don’t know what kind of websites these people are going to, but I have never gotten a virus. I have gotten spyware, adware, random toolbars, etc., but my FREE avast antivirus takes care of all of that before I have to even mess with it. It just sits there in the background of my computer, updating itself every now and then, blocking the junk that may try to come through once in a blue moon. If you’re one to complain about the lack of sercurity in Windows, then surely you have enough sense to go get a free antivirus program. Windows by default even TELLS you to do this, and recommends different programs. Sure, Mac and Linux distros don’t need it, but it is such a tiny and easily surmountable issue. You do it once and you never have to ever again… seriously… stop whining.
Let’s think about something – if Windows sucked so badly, then why would 90-95% (just throwing a number out there) of computers out there have some version of Windows on it? The fact is it is a trend to bash Windows. It’s like an Emperor’s New Clothes situation. Sure, some people have had issues with some things, but is that because Windows sucks or because it is an uncommon setup? Windows-based computers are fast, functional, customizable, and affordable. So you got an error message once 6 years ago when XP first came out… big deal, get over it and stop complaining. I just wish people would come up with their own opinions. Realistically, if you have ever bashed Windows… would you bash Windows if nobody else bashed it first? Are you simply following suit? Do you think you’re supposed to bash Windows? I don’t blame you – it’s the same reason kids wear spiked belts and skull chains. Do they really like skulls? Doubt it. It’s a magnificent phenomenon – that in which the individualists unite.
No comments:
Post a Comment